Maybe you remember the commercial of a few years ago – it was a public service announcement for the National Basketball Association focusing on the good deeds of some of its players. One particular advertisement featured a boy from New Jersey who went to an event where Keith Van Horn (there’s a “blast from the past”) of the New Jersey Nets spent time reading to and with the kids. At the end of the commercial, the boy is seen on the school bus saying, “It was a good day!”
Yesterday was a good day for me – long but good. Here is a list of reasons why:
- Good Sunday School class (led by one of our elders). Lots of questions and excellent discussion.
- Music in the worship service was God-honoring and relevant to the themes in the sermon.
- I had the privilege of preaching Mark 7:1-23 (a tremendous passage).
- Spent several hours in the Intensive Care Unit with the family of a friend of one our church members. I’m not their pastor (I doubt they have one), but the friend has visited our church a few times and asked that I come. I was privileged to be with them during their conference with the doctor (where end-of-life issues where discussed also – the prognosis is very serious).
- In the evening taught a class on the reliability of the Bible called “Can You Trust the Bible?” It’s an 8-week course. The subject was the Bible’s own claim to be the Word of God. Lots of good discussion and questions (yes!).
- A lady at church took me up on my “challenge” to memorize Psalm 119. I meant it as a joke and she didn’t. Knowing her, she’ll do it.
- Watched The Amazing Race with Karen and ate some popcorn.
I praise God that even though it was a long day, it was also a good day.