In light of last week’s Supreme Court decisions on the Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8, a few comments and links are in order.
First, the comments:
- God is still on the throne and no panel of judges can overthrow what He has established. The Creator, Sustainer and Ruler of the universe is neither dismayed nor frustrated. In fact, this is in His plan.
- Our purpose and mission as the church of Jesus Christ remains – to make disciples of all the nations. No Supreme Court decision can change that.
- The decisions were not as comprehensive and final as some thought. On the one hand, same-sex marriage was not made the law of the land in all fifty states (as abortion was in the Roe v. Wade decision in 1973). On the other hand, the DOMA decision creates a clear path for same-sex marriage in all fifty states.
- Same-sex marriage is the issue of our day. The world is pressing the church precisely at this point by demanding that we agree with them. If we don’t, we’ll pay a steep price. Will we choose the Bible or peace with the world?
- The real issue doesn’t have anything to do with marriage or homosexuality, it has to do with religious freedom in general and silencing the witness and preaching of the Christian church in particular. Our society, by and large, doesn’t want to hear what we have to say and growing more intolerant of it and hostile to it every day. This issue is the club they need to beat the church into submission (or try to, at least). We absolutely have to be ready for this.
- We should be driven to prayer. Humbly and sincerely ask God to bring reformation and revival to our country. We desperately need it.
Now, the links:
- Al Mohler – “Waiting for the Other Shoe: The Supreme Court Rules on Same-Sex Marriage”
- Russell Moore – “How Should Same Sex Marriage Change the Churches Witness?”
- Ryan Anderson – “5 Things You Need to Know about the Supreme Court’s Marriage Cases”