The gospel – the good news that God is reconciling sinners to Himself through His Son Jesus Christ – changes everything. It turns the world upside down. Dan Phillips, in his book The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight, sketches out in some detail just how much of a difference it really does make.
In four major sections, Phillips explains the foundation of the Christian worldview by answering the following questions: Who are we? What has God done for us? How do we get in? How do we get going? In the last chapter, he gives us nine ramifications of the gospel:
- Over everything, God
- Sin is a massive, universal nightmare factor
- The world is not self-defining
- Meaning and self-fulfillment cannot be found within the world
- We mustn’t reason from “is” to “ought”
- We must reason from “designed,” “commanded,” and “re-created,” and “attended.”
- Jesus Christ is the most important Person, event, and figure in all of history
- In Christ and through the cross, we have been given all we need for godly living
- The vast bounty of God’s provisions for us in Christ enables and obliges us to get on with it to His glory.
A good book, worth reading. Tolle lege!